Ingrown toenails are a common condition in which the corner or side of a toenail grows into the soft flesh. The result is pain, redness, swelling and, sometimes, an infection. Ingrown toenails usually affect your big toe. Often you can take care of ingrown toenails on your own.
What do you do if your toenail is growing sideways?
Cut straight across at the top and don’t round the edges. Don’t use a sharp object to clean under your nail since this might cause an infection. If the toenail starts to grow into the skin again, put a small piece of cotton under that side of the nail to help it grow out straight.
How do you get a ingrown toenail out?
Ingrown Toenail Medical Treatment
- Lift the nail. The doctor might lift the ingrown nail and put a splint under it to relieve some pressure. …
- Cut away part of the nail. If the doctor has to do this, they’ll numb your toe with a shot first.
- Remove the whole nail and some tissue.
How do I fix my toenail growing skin?
- Soak your feet in warm water. Do this for 15 to 20 minutes three to four times a day. …
- Place cotton or dental floss under your toenail. After each soaking, put fresh bits of cotton or waxed dental floss under the ingrown edge. …
- Apply antibiotic cream. …
- Choose sensible footwear. …
- Take pain relievers.
Why is my toenail growing at an angle?
This may be a condition known as onychographosis, where typically the toenail becomes thickened and grows at an angle. The nail can become discolored and, in some cases, hypertrophy can cause the nails to grow in a claw-like shape.
What causes pincer nail?
Pincer nails are nails that have become deformed with an increased, transverse over-curvature, with causes ranging from fungal disease or psoriasis, medications such as beta-blockers, or tumors or cysts. Most commonly, however, particularly in toenails, the causes are biomechanical or arthritic changes.
How long do ingrown toenails last?
In some cases, you may need antibiotics along with warm soaks. If after 2 to 3 days of antibiotics the toenail doesn’t get better or gets worse, part of the nail may need to be removed to drain the infection. With treatment, it can take 1 to 2 weeks to clear up completely.