Once your toenail falls off, it can’t reattach itself and keep growing. You’ll need to wait for the new nail to grow back in its place. Depending on the cause and how much, if any, of your toenail remains, you might need additional treatment to make sure your toenail grows back properly.
What to do if you rip your nail off?
How is it treated?
- File any sharp edges smooth, or trim the nail. …
- Trim off the detached part of a large tear, or leave the nail alone. …
- Use scissors to remove the detached part of the nail if the nail is partly attached.
- Soak your finger or toe in cold water for 20 minutes after trimming the nail.
Is it painful to have a toenail removed?
The procedure involves removal of either all of, or part of the painful toenail. The nail bed is then destroyed to prevent unwanted painful regrowth. The procedure is carried out under a local anaesthetic so patients do not feel any pain during the surgery.
How long does a ripped off toenail take to heal?
The wound should heal within a few weeks. If completely removed, fingernails may take 6 months to grow back. Toenails may take 12 to 18 months to grow back. Injured nails may look different when they grow back.
When should I pull my nail off?
Go to an urgent care center or emergency room when:
- The tear is too far down for you to trim.
- The base or sides of the nail are pulling away or already detached from the nail bed or nail folds.
- The toenail has ripped off. …
- You have a deep cut that might need stitches.
- You have a lot of pain or swelling.
How do you treat a dead toenail?
- soaking it in cold water for 20 minutes.
- elevating it.
- clipping any sharp or jagged edges of the remaining nail.
- cleaning any exposed part of your nail bed and applying an antibiotic ointment.
- applying a fresh bandage daily for the next 7 to 10 days, or until the skin hardens.
Is it possible for a nail to not grow back?
Once your nail separates from its nail bed, for whatever reason, it will not reattach. Nails grow back slowly.
How much does it cost to have a toenail removed?
On MDsave, the cost of an Ingrown Toenail Removal (in office) ranges from $233 to $269. Those on high deductible health plans or without insurance can save when they buy their procedure upfront through MDsave. Read more about how MDsave works.
Can you wear shoes after toenail removal?
You should wear loose-fitting shoes or sneakers for the first 2 weeks after the procedure. Please avoid wearing high-heeled or tight-fitting shoes in the future. You should avoid running, jumping, or strenuous activity for 2 weeks after the surgery.
How long do nail bed injuries take to heal?
If you lose your nail, it will take about 7 to 10 days for the nail bed to heal. A new fingernail will take about 4 to 6 months to grow to replace the lost nail. Toenails take about 12 months to grow back.
Can I cut off my toenail fungus?
Sometimes nails can become so toughened and thickened by a fungal infection that a standard pair of toenail clippers just won’t, well… cut it.