Your musculoskeletal system includes bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments and soft tissues. They work together to support your body’s weight and help you move. Injuries, disease and aging can cause pain, stiffness and other problems with movement and function.
What are the 5 functions of the musculoskeletal system?
The five main functions of the muscular system are movement, support, protection, heat generation and blood circulation:
- Movement. Skeletal muscles pull on the bones causing movements at the joints. …
- Support. Muscles of the body wall support the internal organs. …
- Protection. …
- Heat generation. …
- Blood circulation.
What are the four main functions of the musculoskeletal system?
The musculoskeletal system provides form, support, stability, and movement to the body.
What are the 6 main functions of the musculoskeletal system?
It provides form, support, stability, and movement to the body. The musculoskeletal system is made up of the body’s bones (the skeleton), muscles, cartilage, tendons, ligaments, joints, and other connective tissue that supports and binds tissues and organs together.
What diseases affect the musculoskeletal system?
Musculoskeletal conditions include conditions that affect:
- joints, such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, gout, ankylosing spondylitis;
- bones, such as osteoporosis, osteopenia and associated fragility fractures, traumatic fractures;
- muscles, such as sarcopenia;
What are the 4 types of muscles?
Different types of muscle
- Skeletal muscle – the specialised tissue that is attached to bones and allows movement. …
- Smooth muscle – located in various internal structures including the digestive tract, uterus and blood vessels such as arteries. …
- Cardiac muscle – the muscle specific to the heart.
What are the main function of muscles?
The muscular system is composed of specialized cells called muscle fibers. Their predominant function is contractibility. Muscles, attached to bones or internal organs and blood vessels, are responsible for movement. Nearly all movement in the body is the result of muscle contraction.
What are 2 problems of the skeletal system?
A number of disorders affect the skeletal system, including bone fractures and bone cancers. However, the two most common disorders of the skeletal system are osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. At least ten million people in the United States have osteoporosis, and more than 8 million of them are women.
How do you keep the musculoskeletal system healthy?
Get regular exercise that builds bones. Exercise that causes you to bear weight or use resistance helps keep bones healthy.
- Eat foods rich in calcium. …
- Eat foods rich in vitamin D. …
- Talk to your doctor about how much calcium and vitamin D you should take.